Monday, July 17, 2023

Week 39 - 3D Art

 
Tank Project - p1


For this project, I had something else in mind originally, a character actually, however upon realizing this is the project that gives us like 3.5 weeks? On top of completing my Metal gear? I elected to do something simpler. 

I floundered around for a bit. Unsure what to do. Then I was somehow reminded of an old game I used to play: 


Rocket slime for the DS! A spinoff trilogy that release in japan, where you play a slime and control a giant tank in real time strategy battles. There's also some adventure collecting, but the tank part is where I want ya focus. 

So yeah! I decided to do a tank from that game.

I compiled ALL the tanks in the game (there's a lot!)



selected my favs, then got my professors + a fellow classmates inputs... and finally arrived at a pick!


The Carrot Top! So finally, I got to work with a blockout from the first angle for proportions (since it was flat and had no depth compared to the concept art):


and once I had the blockout right, I switched to the concept art angle for detail work!
I pushed it to a high quality low rez!

so here's how it came out:


Turnarounds


Detail Shots



(these 2 things took 1/3 the entire time)

so yah! Came out great I feel. Especially the horn using a coil w/ a deformer to boolean onto a high rez horn, which I then I manually copied and retoped on a lower poly version:


(done via the knife tool and select extrusions)

The tread's weren't as bad. I just aligned said treads with the smaller images here:


Then once they were right, it was small enough I just manually put the treads on. 


Other than that it was business as usual. Copy details from the main angle, check the side angle + ingame shots for any smaller details like the tread pattern and small staircase.

I also added a tail. Cause why not.


So yeah! This was a more text heavy post then usual, but it was a combination of referance post + new project + explaining complex geo.

ANWAYS: Here's the schedule for this project:

W2: High Poly in maya, Retop, UV + bake
W3: Textures & scene
W3.5: Feedback & Refinement. Maybe simple scene? I'll see.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Research Project

  Hardsurface / 3D Modeling Tutorial   Intro   Hi. I’m Christian Zwick, call me Zwick.        I am a 3d artist, specifically a ha...